October 18, 2008

Divorcing Ed

Today I celebrate a long awaited victory! This special day marks the 6 month anniversary of my divorce from Ed.

Ed and I secretly lived together on and off for 37 years. Our relationship began when I was 9 years old. I finally got up the courage to introduce him to my family and close friends a couple years ago. Does this sound bizarre? Well...... if Ed were a person, absolutely! Since Ed is an acronym for Eating Disorder, maybe not quite as bizarre. (See sidebar for Jenni Schaefer's "Life Without Ed" link)

This post isn't about the horrors of bulimia and anorexia, but rather my freedom and victory from them. It is also a celebration of my new journey into the "normal eater's" world. Does Ed still hang around? Yes, especially during times of sadness and stress. The difference between this "break-up" and the HUNDREDS in the past; I no longer take Ed back. Our "divorce" was final on April 18, 2008, and unlike the dissolution of my 22 year marriage, this divorce is one I can truly celebrate!

If you have an eating disorder, facing this reality is the first step toward healing. Reaching out for help takes courage and effort, but you won't regret it. Please feel free to e-mail me and I will share valuable resources that helped me get beyond this life altering disorder. My e-mail link can be found on my profile. 

For those who feel desperately lost, do not give up hope for a full recovery. I can honestly say that there is light at the end of the tunnel. A light that I NEVER dreamed I would find!

Blessings,
Terri

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
I always knew you could do it!
Let's celebrate with a big salad!
I am very proud of you and I love you!
Mom

Lynn Cohen said...

Wow. Teri, I , first want to congratulate you for making such a huge gigantic step in your life and well being.

I never heard of eating disorders referred to as "ED" before, so your first lines were a bit of shock to me...then I was relieved, (it wasn't a marital divorce) and then you said a relationship of long standing had terminated as well. What a loop of emotions I went through reading all of this.
But it sounds like you have come to terms with both big life changes.

I would learn from you should you share any of the things that helped you make this ED change, as I see clients who also suffer from ED.

Hugs to you and wishes for continued healing.

Anonymous said...

Ter-bear you are one of the most genuinely sweet person I have ever met. I must admit I was very curious about this ed guy you were married to! He sounds like a sneaky jerk...a chimera even!Ed is querulous and you certainly deserve someone who is laudatory and surfeit with their love and respect for you! Ed sucks..and you are affable...I will try to abscond to the library to chat with you tomorrow..........