July 17, 2008

Fuzzy Pollinators

Being a gardener has so many perks. One of them is bees. Yes, bees. Those little creatures that send people running for cover in a matter of seconds. Fortunately, I've never really been afraid of them. In fact, I am fascinated by them, and find myself grateful for their work as pollinators. The fuzzy little insect in the photo is a bumble bee I spotted in my garden. A closer look at the photo shows how fuzzy she is. I'm assuming it's a she since all the worker bees are female. Hey...... ALL the workers are female? Hmmm..... :-)

I was an apiarist (beekeeper) for a couple years. It was fun watching those busy little bees make all that honey. Once Issac (my grandson) was able to run all around the yard, I felt it might be better to sell my hive, rather than worry about him getting stung. Perhaps someday, when Issac is older, he and “Grammy” can raise bees together.

No comments: