July 29, 2008

In My Garden

I've loved gardening for as long as I can remember. Although it can be quite tiring at times, the benefits far outweigh the minor aches. For in my garden, I find peace and solitude. I feel connected to the earth. While I work, I often think of my ancestors who gardened out of necessity, and not just for pleasure. Gardening seems to fulfill my desire to nurture. It allows me to focus on something outside of myself. To give, asking nothing much in return. My garden blesses me with fruit, vegetables, and an array of flowers. These gifts in turn help feed and protect the wildlife I cherish. I have had the benefit of gardening in the same location for over 2 decades. I have planted tiny saplings that have grown to be huge trees. I watch the garden continually change and shift as plants and trees grow and shade my sunny beds. It is a place of renewal. Many of my favorite memories throughout the years are those of my children. The yard was a wonderful place for them to play and explore nature. Their laughter still echoes through my mind.

There was a gentle breeze this morning as I was watering. I stopped and listened to the finches at the feeder and took a deep breath of fresh air. Suddenly this phrase came to mind, "It is well with my soul." From somewhere deep within my memory came the chorus of an old hymn and it felt so appropriate. Yes, when I am working in my garden, "It is well with my soul!"


* This hymn was written by Horatio Spafford after much heartbreak. It is an amazing story!

No comments: